media icons

 Facebook Bloglovin' Pinterest Twitter

Tuesday, August 5, 2014

DIY Spray Paint Lamps: Make Your Classroom Cozy + redditgifts for Teachers 2014

I remember the few times my teachers traded the fluorescent overhead lights for some low lighting and calming music as some of the most exciting. Something about the cozy, relaxed feel in the normally over-stimulating classroom environment got me really eager to pull out a pencil or a book and get to work. I want my classroom to be a place where my students feel comfortable with rather that stressed about the work we do. Environment has such a big impact on that. That's part of the reason my classroom color scheme (rather than theme... I'm not a theme kinda girl) is fairly subtle: blues, greens, white, grays and black. 

I had two old lamps that were bronze with a glass crackle situation and overall outdated so I decided to grab some spray paint and bring them from 2004 to 2014.

Spray painting lamps is super simple! First, pick your favorite color spray paint (I like the brands Rustoleum and Valspar and decided to go with black and white because I already had bold lamp shades) and put down some old newspaper, sheets, or drop cloths in a well ventilated area (I did mine on my deck outside). Tape off the wire and lamp shade/light bulb holder thingy (name?) with painters tape. 

Now you are ready to paint! This is self explanatory but one word of advice I have is to ALWAYS keep the can moving. In other words, spray while moving the can back in forth constantly. I held the it in one spot for too long on the lamps in our bedroom which caused the paint to drip. 


Let it dry, find a fab lampshade (I got the chevron shade at Goodwill {$4!} and the green shade at Hobby Lobby clearance {$11}) and you're good to go! I can't wait to see how these lamps and a few others will create a welcoming, relaxing vibe for my third grade classroom! 


And last but not least, reddit does an annual school supply drive and this year's deadline is August 18th! If you are a teacher who needs help providing your kiddos with all the supplies they need to be successful (umm who doesn't?) then sign up to be "gifted" from a very generous reddit gifter. You just have to enter your info and what supplies you're in need of! Click here for the link!

T minus 20 days until the first day of school! Butterflies have officially kicked (flew?) in.

No comments:

Post a Comment